Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My New Kegerator

Last week I finally put the homemade kegerator together just in time for poker night.  I already had the fridge in the garage from my bachelor days.  I won't go into detail about how to do it step-by-step, but here's a good tutorial by blogger bsbrewing. 

A couple months ago I started kegging with 5 gallon cornelius kegs bought on ebay.  For dispensing, I use a 5lb aluminum CO2 tank with dual regulators.  Up to now I had been using the picnic taps, which worked fine, but they dripped a bit in the fridge after every pour.  So I decided it was about time to step up to some real faucets. 

My setup includes two Perlick stainless forward seal faucets, with 5 1/8 inch stainless shanks.  I really didn't need shanks that long, but figured if I ever use the faucets anywhere else, I'll be set.  Then last week I happened to be up in Northern California, so I picked up a couple Sierra Nevada tap handles. (Pale and Porter) I got the short ones so there is enough clearance for the freezer door and the taps can close all the way.  Here's the photos of my rig:

I have a very understanding wife!!!

 
What's wrong with this picture?  
One dry line.  I better get brewing!!!
My new Sierra taps, with my labels 
above to know what's really pouring.

3 comments:

-- said...

Very nice. Although my fridge is different than yours, the two keg dual regulator setup inside it is quite similar to what you have.

http://ahomebrewlog.blogspot.com/2010/01/homebrew-kegerator.html

Christine said...

You should get chalkboard taps so you can write what's pouring on them and just erase it when the kegs change.

http://www.kegerator.com/0001MWS-Chalkboard-Beer-Tap-Handle-Walnut/0001MWS,default,pd.html?cgid=Draft_Beer_Components-Tap_Handles

Kegerator looks great though! Good job!

John Karlis said...

James - nice job on your kegerator. I like the expansion potential!

Christine - I thought about those chalkboard taps, they are a good idea. But I have horrible handwriting and always hated writing on the chalkboard in elementary school!